Monday 28 May 2007

Travel - A Holiday Through Time

That familiar feeling rushes through your body as you sit writing your report for work or university at 3.30am. That familiar feeling that comes when you're feeling low, feeling frustrated, feeling angry, feeling tired. "I need a holiday". Most people get it once a month or so. I get it approximately every 48 minutes, give or take 20 seconds.

But not the type where you're constantly on-the-go, 10 hour tours filled with walking and learning. I long for the holidays where you do nothing. Bask in the sun on the beach. Watch sea gulls try and fly against the wind. Drink coconut milk from a freshly opened coconut. Swim in the ocean. Then sit in the sun some more. You know the ones...

But then I got to thinking. What if instead of traveling to a destination in our world. Imagine traveling to a destination during a different time period. For example, to be there at the opening of the first Heineken brewery. Maybe they were giving out freebies...???

People could go back to the olden days. See the dinosaurs. Watch the parting of the Red Sea (with popcorn of course). Attend an Elvis concert. See Britney Spears when she was attractive. The list continues...

Anyone remember this?

Just the overall coolness of the idea made me jittery with glee. A chance to regain my dignity from all the times that I lost it. This would take several vacations. But a good investment nevertheless.

It would provide a way to see the world like never before.

A lot of people never post responses on other people's blogs. But if you have read this, please write where you would go and why. Doesn't matter who you are, if we've met or not, where you live. I'm interested. Spill your thoughts. In this case, the world really is your oyster. Happy travels!!!

6 comments:

Ilana Laps said...

wow. i feel like i got the golden passport. EU used to be exciting, but now you've given me access to all of time passed. hmm. where would i go. i have to admit, i feel quite cheated that i missed out on bob live, janis live, led zep live. so that would be my first vacation. 1969 (and a side trip into the 70s for the best of bob). between gigs i'd look up ginsberg, dylan... write some poems together. i'd base myself in new york, when it was pulsing and raw and everything was possible, and journey on from there. yeah, that's what i would do. i like it. thanks for letting me dream...

saskia said...

parting of the red sea (with popcorn) sounds good.. hard to beat.
let me think on this one. i will revert.

Fabio said...

Like this one. Except the Heineken thing...living in the city of Stella Artois you maybe could understand my reasons.

I'd would not go back thát far, just something like 10 years, the end of the nineties. Away with friends in the South of Italy. A house on the beach. Free from worries. Free from todo's. Free in pure freedom. And a future completely still to discover.

Fresh Observations said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fresh Observations said...

I would also probably zap between live concert with jimi handreix (i will definitely introduce myself to him this time around;), then zap to see the beatels, meet gandhi, and check out moses when he decided to split the sea. I would probably (also) go and meet with rabin. Not say anything just an honorable handshake. Maybe... take a part in some major revolution. Oy my dreams. Thanks M. Love O.

Laurenetco said...

Melbourne